SCOIL MHUIRE GAN SMÁL SCHOOL HISTORY
1877- The Sisters of Mercy opened a school for poor children.
1880 - The sisters opened a Pension School. (The better-off families paid a fee or pension). In this school the sisters taught the ‘3 R’s’, Kindergarten, Music, French and Elocution.
1882- The Sisters placed their school under the Board of National Education, and thus it became a ‘National School’.
1907 - An extension to the school provided three additional classrooms, in which the senior pupils were accommodated (Stds. vi, vii and viii). The cost of the extension was approximately £600.00.
1924-1940 - A ‘Secondary Top’, catering for the senior section of the Convent National School, was conducted in conjunction with the National School, and was visited by both Primary and Secondary Inspectors.
1956 - The new Primary School, this present building, was opened. The old building was renovated and extended to become the Secondary School. The new school was built to accommodate 296 pupils. It comprised of seven classrooms, an Assembly Hall, Cookery Kitchen, Staffroom, Cloakrooms, Toilets, etc. The cost of the building was £50,666.00. The school was named ‘Muire gan Smál’.
1970's - The Cookery Kitchen became a regular classroom.
1980 - Application was made to the Department of Education for the provision of additional classrooms, Staffroom, toilets, etc.
1982 - In order to accommodate the rapid growth in pupil intake, a pre-fabricated classroom was provided.
1989 - Work was begun on the extension applied for in 1980.
1990 - The official blessing of the new extension took place on 12 October, at 1.30pm.
2006-2007 Big celebrations for our Golden Jubilee year.
2007-2008 - Application made to the DES for additional permanent classrooms resulted in the granting of three units of temporary accommodation in 2007 – one classroom and two language support units. Two additional units were granted in 2008.
2008-2009 - Following a fantastic Fund Raising Event a newly equipped computer room opened in Spring 2009. Interactive white boards were installed in five classrooms.